Thursday, June 14, 2007

Indians and Others

Two new people joined my team in the last week and one more will be joining in the next few days. It takes up the strength of the team to 9 of whom exactly 3 are Americans. Of the rest, there are 5 Indians and 1 Russian.

This is the general pattern in my company - most teams and lower management levels are filled by Indians (and Chinese to an extent). Middle management is all American, and the very top management is British.

Add to that the many analysts who are on deputation from the India offices in Bengalooru (I know no one uses that name, but I'd like to) and Mumbai (there, that's why I use that name) and the place is literally little India.

This was the case at my previous company too, and I know that other companies have the same situation. Not that I am complaining, but how do these companies get away with it? Any company in India hiring a bunch of say Sri Lankans over Indians would have been stoned at best.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess nobody notices in California because the people who should have complained about losing out on jobs are just thrilled at not being sent back down south....

June 14, 2007 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger YSK said...

No. The people from down south wouldn't be getting these jobs anyway.....

June 14, 2007 at 4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why Sri Lankans? The same thing happens when many Tamils and Mallus are given s/w jobs in Bangalore :-).

Nagendra

June 17, 2007 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger YSK said...

Very true Nagu....thought I would get the "international" angle in there :)

June 17, 2007 at 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home