Friday, June 08, 2007

S.L.Bhyrappa

The raging debate/name-calling that is going on in various media on the topic of ಆವರಣ, S.L.Bhyrappa and U.R.Ananthamurthy had so far failed to elicit any response from Bhyrappa himself. He has now however given an interview to the blog churumuri.com

Bhyrappa is very eloquent which is not unusual for a writer. The man is also very earnest in his speech and mannerisms which rivets the listener to his words. This interview is no exception.

I had the chance to observe him at the AKKA Sammelana in Baltimore last year. I never saw him smile once in all the three days. Indeed, he has a rather dour demeanour. He kept to himself, eating alone and sitting at a distance from everyone if he could help it. This in sharp contrast to the likes of Chandrashekhar Patil who would not be seen without his entourage. Or Lakshminarayana Bhatta who being such a pleasant and friendly person always had people around him.

I also observed that Bhyrappa is usually reluctant to volunteer his opinion on anything. Sometimes though, someone would say something that provoked his sensibilities so much that Bhyrappa would squirm in his chair fighting the urge to say something, fret some more, and then finally stand up and say it like it is. And when he spoke, people listened. He also has a way of putting his arguments that tells us it is the last word. URA is probably right in calling him a ಚರ್ಚಾಪಟು for he certainly knows how to debate well.

His spoken Kannada is tinged by his roots and gives a quaint intimate feel to his scholarly speech. For example, he says "ಇಟ್ಟ್ಕಂಡು" instead of the city standard of "ಇಟ್ಟ್ಕೊಂಡು", and "ಮಾಡ್ಕಂಡು" instead of "ಮಾಡ್ಕೊಂಡು". I remember a few letters that the late Govinda Pai had sent my grandfather which I found in his stack of correspondence. He had used the word "ಮಡಗಿದ್ದೇನೆ" instead of the more standard "ಇಟ್ಟಿದ್ದೇನೆ" which brought immediately the picture of a gentle grandfather instead of the professorial image I had of him.

I doubt however if anyone would describe Bhyrappa as endearing. For some reason, every time I think of him, the image of Sardar Patel comes to my mind. Both are no nonsense types who didn't tolerate idiots all that well. Both of them got bad press for a variety of reasons. And both of their fields of work would be remarkably empty without their respective contributions.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Ramashray said...

1. SLB and smiling face : face is deceptive, see his works and you will notice the humour at every place. Come to Aavarana - it has "ittige" drama :)
2. Vikas Kamat had written a blog and had presented a friendly picture of SLB.
3. Why everybody is so eager to comment on SLB and Aavarana ? Churmuri reviewer in his novel says he himself hasnt read the novel yet. So do many people commenting on it. I read it first time - refreshed my memory with many facts mentioned in the novel -read blogs and discussed with some critic-friends of SLB - went back and re-read the whole novel. Still i find the novel raising so many philosophical questions on art, freedom, history etc - and so condensed and rich in content :)

June 12, 2007 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger YSK said...

Vikas,

I know that a face can be deceptive. However, my post was about his general appearance as I saw it and not what it meant :)

June 12, 2007 at 10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True, SLB does not smile very often. But he gives a feeling that he is always thinking. Infact, in one of the programs during Baltimore AKKA Sammelana he was staring at me for so long that I felt quite uncomfortable. I walked out to talk to him, but he was too busy and I had to rush and attend another program. I tried catching him in Mysore this year, but couldn't.

I have seen him since my childhood. I was a little kid going to my school, and SLB would be walking right past me, almost everyday. I knew who he was and I was always intrigued. He would never ever smile or even look at passers-by. He was always in that constant thinking mode.

chaMpa and LN bhaTTa are on the other side of the spectrum, no comparison at all. But, I will argue that SLB is richer in "knowledge" and "facts", not that I am bringing down the other two. it's just that SLB is a par above the rest. Not because of the way he is, but he just is.

His 'iTkaMDu', 'mADkaMDu' etc...are all typical Smartha->Hoysala Karnataka Kannada of the Old Mysore area. You will see tons of HK's use that language.

I have to admit that SLB's talk in Baltimore was one of the highlights of the Sammelana. He sure was uncomfortable when Jnanpeeth was mentioned. He is not endearing, but certainly someone whom people rever and respect immediately.

One thing which totallly surprised me about him. He called me the day after my wedding and apologized for not attending the wedding and wished me a very happy married life. That, I never expected from SLB, not even in the wildest of dreams!!!

June 14, 2007 at 4:56 AM  
Blogger YSK said...

DS,

This post was just meant to be a general impression of the man as one sees him. I make no conclusions about his ability or character from them. If I were to, most men in my family would be downright misanthropes!

I have great respect for the man's knowledge - both the breadth of it and the depth. Bringing history to life, creating characters, filling them with a sensibility that is divorced from the present - all these have to be some of the most difficult historical/literary challenges. Whether the end product is well received or not, no ordinary person can undertake such a project.

I am not very qualified to comment on his writing for I have read two of his books. Parva and Saartha. You can guess which one I liked and which one I didn't. This post was to take a different view of the man.

June 14, 2007 at 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Misanthropes, huh? LOL...oh well, you know better!

I understood your post. Yes, it does take a different angle and rightfully so. I was just 'trying' to add onto it, did not mean to question it in anyway.

June 19, 2007 at 2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home