Sunday, June 03, 2007

Cabbage, Cauliflower and Broccoli

I visited a family friend in San Jose yesterday, and had the unique experience of eating broccoli tambli.

Though tamblis are one of my favorite foods, I had never imagined it could be made with broccoli. In the course of my conversation, I was told that broccoli in fact is a hybrid variety of cabbage and cauliflower, and that it wasn't a species in itself.

That stumped me. And being a nerd, I decided to find out more about it from the god of information - Wikipedia.

Sure enough, it turns out that not only broccoli, but cauliflower too is a hybrid variety of cabbage! Cabbage is the grand daddy of them all!

The words for cabbage and cauliflower in Kannada (ele kosu and hoo kosu) actually do suggest that they have the same root, but I don't know if that knowledge led to the terminology in Kannada. Fascinating!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed you're a nerd! I mean it in a good way :)

June 4, 2007 at 4:09 PM  
Blogger YSK said...

Thanks! That's a relief :)

June 4, 2007 at 8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, I know you have visited my blog. I did see that you have even commented wishing me and my family good when we were going through hell. Thanks! I was going through all the comments in my blog and that's how I came here. You have a neat blog here and I will try to come here more often.

As for broccoli, did you know that it is the most hated vegetable in America? Infact, President Bush (the real one) had made a public statement that he despised Broccoli.

Imagine my plight when I was forced to eat Broccoli palya at someone's place. And, I didn't have any other choice either!!! Needless to say, I am not a bog fan of Broccoli either.

A nerd didn't know that Broccoli was a hybrid of cabbage and cauliflower? Hmmmm....

June 6, 2007 at 9:55 PM  
Blogger YSK said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. And sorry for the broccoli palya ordeal!

June 6, 2007 at 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home